Subject: Re: What's cooking in git.git (topics)

From: Jakub Narebski <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 12 Jan 2007 19:16:14 +0100

Shawn O. Pearce wrote:

>> One minor problem that you inherited from the original algorithm
>> is the name priority.  If you have an annotated tag A and a
>> lightweight tag b, and ask "git describe --tags" in this graph:
>> 
>>     ---o---o---o---o---x
>>            A   b
>> 
>> you would still want to describe 'x' with A, not b.
>> Unfortunately you don't (and the original doesn't either).
> 
> Actually I think you want to describe it with b.  If you ask
> '--tags' then you want the lightweight ones too.  In the case above
> the lightweight tag b better describes x as it has more in common
> with x than A has.

Actually I very often want to describe with _annotated_ tags only.
I have few lightweight tags which are former heads (former branches),
few lightweight tags which are branch points or before-merge points,
and are _not_ version tags.

Although perhaps command line switch (to prefer annotated tags to
lightweight tags) would be better...
-- 
Jakub Narebski
Warsaw, Poland
ShadeHawk on #git