Subject: Re: [PATCH] git-status: wording update to deal with deleted files.

From: Jakub Narebski <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 12 Jan 2007 20:48:34 +0100

Carl Worth wrote:

> commit after stage
> ------------------
> git stage: stage content for new, modified, or removed files
> 
> commit -a
> ---------
> git add: mark new files to be committed
> 
> Compare that to the above description. Isn't it beautiful from a
> conceptual point-of-view? The "git rm" command isn't needed at all,
> (though we could certainly still provide it). And now the "git add"
> command only has one conceptual use, for (of all thing!) adding new
> files, not updating content for files that have been modified.

Without "git rm" (or "git update-index --force-remove") you cannot
make file to be untracked by git, i.e. remove it from the files
tracked by git but not remove it from directory.

With current version of git-rm (modulo bugs), if you do "git rm <file>"
the file would be removed from index, and if recoverable from working
directory. Without git-rm you would have to use plumbing to remove it from
index but preserve changes.
-- 
Jakub Narebski
Warsaw, Poland
ShadeHawk on #git