Subject: Re: Rebasing stgit stacks

From: Jakub Narebski <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2007 10:47:59 +0100

Yann Dirson wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 18, 2007 at 09:05:47AM +0000, Catalin Marinas wrote:

>> As Jakub said, I would also call this command 'rebase' instead of
>> 'pull --to', even if we duplicate a bit of code.
>> It would make the implementation even simpler
> 
> A new command is fine with me, it's just that I feel "rebase <target>"
> may be confusing to beginners.  I'd rather say "rebase [<stack>] --to
> <target>", but it's just that I don't see the case for specifying a
> different stack than the current one.

If you want to move some stack from one branch to other, for example
from 'next' or next-based branch to 'origin'/'master' or origin-based
branch you could do either:

  $ git checkout <newbase>
  $ stg rebase <stack>

or

  $ git checkout <oldbase>
  $ stg rebase --onto <newbase>

(or even "stg rebase <stack> --onto <newbase>" or "stg rebase 
--onto <newbase> <stack>").

Although usually you have separate branch as StGIT stack "base", and
you can simply rebase git branch, then do

  $ stg rebase

-- 
Jakub Narebski
Warsaw, Poland
ShadeHawk on #git