Subject: Re: Decoding git show-branch output

From: Jakub Narebski <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2007 23:17:19 +0100

[Cc: [email-masked]]

Bill Lear wrote:

> I'm not sure if this is sane: is it ok to clone the company repo,
> then push from that clone into a bare repo, then from there to
> the company one?  Is git doing some sort of weird, silent pseudo-merge
> that we don't understand, thus generated what appears to be a very
> tangled, albeit brief, history, when we examine it?

It is quite sane, I think, to use bare repositories as "gateways".
 
> I have read about 8 documents on git, experimented with it
> extensively, and, at our company, I am arguably the "git expert"; I
> thought that I had done all of my work on my local repo's master
> branch, and only pushed from that branch up to our company repo.  Yet,
> qgit shows that one of my first commits (to fix a few simply typos in
> documentation) goes off onto another branch.  git-show-branch shows
> "[master~3^2~9] Fix a few typos" for this.  I'm very confused how this
> could have happened, and I want to ensure we are doing things in a way
> that is predictable...

Nether push nor fetch does do merges. What can do merges (if not in
fast-forward case, i.e. in case where only one side did any changes), is
pull (but it doesn;t do this silently). I suspect that pulling from
different repositories (probably into different tracking branches, or
without use of tracking branches) might be the culprit.

-- 
Jakub Narebski
Warsaw, Poland
ShadeHawk on #git