Subject: Re: Deleting remote branches with git-branch and reflog questions

From: Jakub Narebski <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2007 14:12:33 +0100

Andy Parkins wrote:

> reflogs
> -------
> 
> Why does the reflog directory .git/logs need to store the refs/ directory?  
> Aren't /all/ the refs under "refs/" these days?

HEAD is not under refs/. Although IIRC we don't reflog HEAD, with detached
HEAD we could reflog at least detached state.

> Is it right that the reflog for a branch is deleted when the branch is 
> deleted?  Doesn't this kill one of the advantages of reflogs?  In particular, 
> if I accidentally deleted a branch, I would have no way of getting it back 
> because the reflog has been deleted too?  Personally I'd prefer that a reflog 
> line was added saying
>   XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX 00000000000000 Deleted
> Or similar.  After all; it's only disk space.  If the ref was later created 
> again, then the log can continue to be added to, but it will have a "Created 
> from" in the middle instead of at the end.

The problem is when you delete branch 'foo', and then create branch
'foo/bar'. You can't have both 'foo' and 'foo/bar' reflog.

-- 
Jakub Narebski
Warsaw, Poland
ShadeHawk on #git