Subject: Re: [PATCH] diff --check: use colour

From: Jakub Narebski <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2007 18:41:19 +0100

Andy Parkins wrote:

> On Friday 2007 January 26 15:49, Bill Lear wrote:
> 
>> I presume that I send the patch text to the list with the subject line
>> that starts with [PATCH], some sensible topic (e.g., "document --check
>> option to diff"), and then a short body of explanation and then,
>> following my signature, the patch itself.
> 
> git-format-patch will make you an email of the correct form.  Personally I do 
> this (this is the IMAP server version, but it's similar for mbox)

You can use git-send-email to send emails via SMTP. I have configured
sendmail to send emails via gmail

-dnl define(`SMART_HOST',`smtp.your.provider')
+define(`SMART_HOST',`[smtp.gmail.com]')
 
>  * make myself a branch from current master
>  * write patch/patches, test (yeah, right ;-))

The same for me (with the exception that I branch from origin).
If writing patches takes longer time, and upstream has
advanced in meantime, I also rebase before sending patches.

   * rebase branch using "git rebase master <branch>"

>  * git-format-patch --stdout HEAD^ to check it looks good
>  * git-format-patch --stdout HEAD^ | git-imap-send 
>  * Go to Drafts mailbox, open it up, add any additional comments for the
>    mailing list only underneath the "---" and before the diffstat.  Make sure
>    you turn word wrap off as soon as you open the mail.  Word wrapping will
>    ruin the patch.

For me it is "git format-patch HEAD^.." if it is one patch (one commit)
only, "git format-patch -o mdir.<n> origin.." if this is series of patches.
Then edit the patches (the 0001-*.txt file), adding any additional
comments for the mailing list only underneath the "---" and before
the diffstat.

>  * Send.

Use "git send-email <patch>" or "git send-email mdir.<n>" to send patches.

>  * Wait for huge feeling of disappointment because your patch is junk and
>    gets savaged by the git-gurus (maybe this step is just for me though).

-- 
Jakub Narebski
Warsaw, Poland
ShadeHawk on #git