Subject: Problems installing as root

From: walt <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 24 Feb 2007 07:28:56 -0800

I'm current as of this morning (7bd59dee...) and I'm still seeing
two problems with doing 'make' as myself but 'make install' as
root.

First, 'make install' as root leaves dozens of files owned by root
in my personal source directory.  A minor nit, but inconvenient
during the next 'make'.

Second, this is a more recent problem with 'make install':
make -C git-gui all
make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/local/mnt/wa1ter/src/git/git-gui'
GITGUI_VERSION = 0.6.GITGUI
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/local/mnt/wa1ter/src/git/git-gui'
make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/local/mnt/wa1ter/src/git/git-gui'
/bin/sh ./CREDITS-GEN
error: Cannot locate authorship information.
make[1]: *** [CREDITS-FILE] Error 1

Now, CREDITS-FILE was generated during 'make' (I checked) so there
was no need to generate it again during 'make install', yes?

Thanks!