Subject: Re: Memory overrun in http-push.c

From: Jakub Narebski <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 02 Mar 2007 15:38:01 +0100

Eygene Ryabinkin wrote:

> By the way, I am missing one thing: the Id keyword in the file. The
> problem is that when some user is telling me: there is a bug in the
> function a() that is inside the file b.c, then I can ask him to
> give me the $Id$ tag of the file and I will have the full information
> about the file version. Can I have it with git if user has just the
> sources without any signs of the file versions? I've glanced over
> the git manual, but was unable to find anything usable.
 
First, keyword expansion on checkout (CVS-like) is an abomination;
the proper way is to do it on _build_ time, like git and Linux kernel
do, so "git version" (or "git --version") and "uname -a" gives us
the version which can be used with git to go to it.

Second, there were some work on git mailing list to create git command
which given a blob (or sha1 of a blob object) would list all commits
(in date order) which have this exact version of a file (of a blob).

Third, tar files generated by git-acrhive have version embedded as
a comment in them.
-- 
Jakub Narebski
Warsaw, Poland
ShadeHawk on #git