Subject: Re: [PATCH v2 7/8] cherry-pick: enforce `--keep-redundant-commits` incompatibility

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 25 Feb 2024 16:58:11 +0000

Hi Brian

On 23/02/2024 06:23, Brian Lyles wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 22, 2024 at 10:35 AM Phillip Wood <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 
>> Well spotted, do we really need a new test file just for this though? I
>> wonder if the new test would be better off living in
>> t3505-cherry-pick-empty.sh or t3507-cherry-pick-conflict.sh
> 
> I was modelling this off of 't3422-rebase-incompatible-options.sh'.

The rebase case is more complicated due to different options being 
supported by the two different backends. Thankfully here we only have to 
worry about options that are incompatible with "--continue/--abort" and 
so adding "--continue rejects --foo" into the file that tests option 
"--foo" keeps everything together.

> Additionally, I do feel like these tests are only tangentially related
> to the tests that actually exercise the features themselves. Notably,
> the setup requirements are drastically different (simpler) since the
> test should fail long before any setup actually matters. For that
> reason, I think a separate file where other future tests for
> incompatible options can also live does make sense.
> 
> Is there any particular downside to the new file that I am unaware of?

The main downside is that it spreads the tests for a particular option 
over several test files. There is also an overhead in setting up the 
repository at the start of each test file.

Best Wishes

Phillip