Subject: Re: [PATCH] diff: add --no-indicators option

From: Phillip Wood <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 19 Dec 2025 14:27:20 +0000

On 19/12/2025 11:46, Harald Nordgren wrote:
> Hi Phillip!
> 
> Yeah, getting rid of the extra space in the beginning would be preferable,
> I can take a look at that assuming that this has any chance of getting merged.

I can't say whether any given patch will be merged or not. All I can say 
is that if there is support for an idea on the mailing list and someone 
submits a sensible implementation then it is likely to be merged. If 
people on the mailing list are generally unconvinced something is a good 
idea then it is unlikely to be merged.

If you want to restore some lines from a previous version of the file 
then it would be worth trying out "git restore -p" as Ben suggested. If 
there is some other use for this then it would be helpful to understand 
a bit more about it. I'm struggling to see why it would be useful to be 
able to copy and paste a mixture of insertions and deletions without the 
'+' and '-' indicators. There was some discussion a while ago about 
being able to view just the new version of the file[1] would it make 
sense to just show the old or new version when the indicators are omitted?

Thanks

Phillip

[1] 
https://lore.kernel.org/git/CAHk-=wgh8emJn-+FtxN=[email-masked]

> Harald