Subject: Re: Anyone running GIT on native Windows

From: Asger Ottar Alstrup <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 08 May 2007 20:21:29 +0200

Johannes Sixt wrote:
> The next big thing to think about is an installer. Does anyone have a
> suggestion for a free installer tool? I only know about Microsoft's WiX
> (wix.sf.net), but it requires .NET (for the developer, not the user).

The relevant choices are:

- WiX - http://wix.sourceforge.net/
- NSIS - http://nsis.sourceforge.net/
- Inno Setup - http://www.jrsoftware.org/isinfo.php

NSIS is very low level, and thus has a pretty steep learning curve. You 
are more or less programming machine code. However, if you invest the 
time and energy, the NSIS installers are best of class: fast, small and 
it can do anything you want.

WiX is based on .MSI technology, which is somewhat slow, but of course 
it works, since it's the "official" Microsoft installation format.

Inno Setup is worth a second look. I think this might be the best choice 
for you: relatively simple to approach, and the installers are good.

Regards,
Asger Ottar Alstrup