Subject: Re: [PATCH 07/16] git-read-tree: take --submodules option

From: Jakub Narebski <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 25 May 2007 12:06:02 +0200

Martin Waitz wrote:

> On Tue, May 22, 2007 at 09:37:06PM +0200, Jan Hudec wrote:

>> Including the same project several times is indeed interesting. Maybe the
>> subprojects should be "light checkouts" (I believe something like this was
>> already discussed on the list sometime). Those would be .git dirs, that would
>> only have HEAD and pointer to another .git dir with everything else.
> 
> Well, even if they might share a lot of objects they might be included
> for completely different reasons and so might need to work with
> different communities (remote entries, branches, etc.).
> 
> So sharing objects makes sense, sharing the rest of .git is not
> neccessary.

One of the final ideas for "lightweight checkout" was having in
.git/config the location of "true" $GIT_DIR (or parts of it: 
GIT_INDEX_FILE, GIT_OBJECT_DIRECTORY), and "shadowing" the rest
of "true $GIT_DIR" with what is present in .git. It means that
you can have .git/index and .git/HEAD, and if you don't find
appropriate .git/refs/heads/master file you look to "true $GIT_DIR".

-- 
Jakub Narebski
Warsaw, Poland
ShadeHawk on #git