Subject: Re: Versioning file system

From: Jakub Narebski <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Jun 2007 18:52:22 +0200

Kyle Moffett wrote:
> On Jun 18, 2007, at 13:56:05, Bryan Henderson wrote:

>>> The question remains is where to implement versioning: directly in  
>>> individual filesystems or in the vfs code so all filesystems can  
>>> use it?
>>
>> Or not in the kernel at all.  I've been doing versioning of the  
>> types I described for years with user space code and I don't  
>> remember feeling that I compromised in order not to involve the  
>> kernel.
>>
>> Of course, if you want to do it with snapshots and COW, you'll have  
>> to ask where in the kernel to put that, but that's not a file  
>> versioning question; it's the larger snapshot question.
> 
> What I think would be particularly interesting in this domain is  
> something similar in concept to GIT, except in a file-system
[cut]

How it relates to ext3cow versioning (snapshotting) filesystem,
for example? ext3cow assumes linear history, which simplifies things
a bit.

-- 
Jakub Narebski
Warsaw, Poland
ShadeHawk on #git