Subject: Re: Running scheduled maintenance in quiet mode

From: Derrick Stolee <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 29 Mar 2021 15:14:58 -0400

On 3/29/2021 12:45 PM, Clement Moyroud wrote:
> Hello,
> 
> Now that Git v2.31.0 has the fix for 'git maintenance register' on
> bare repositories, I've enabled it. I'm now getting a fairly useless
> daily e-mail with a couple of hashes listed (no other info).

Thanks for your interest in the feature! Sorry this is a
frustrating experience.

> I'd like to disable this e-mail and get the configuration to stick -
> changing my Crontab with either --quiet or a /dev/null redirect works,
> but the next time 'git maintenance start' is called, this will be
> rewritten.

You are right about that. We could alter the implementation of
'start', and the only downside is that you would need to rerun
the command to avoid those problems.

For now, you can stick to 'git maintenance register' instead of
'start' so the crontab schedule is not overwritten.

> I could not find a 'maintenance.quiet' option (or similar) in the
> config. Is there a way to do this currently?

This could also be an interesting workaround. To be distinct from
the crontab approach, it would probably be necessary to also make
the `git maintenance run --auto` output quiet by default, too.

I'm on the side of modifying the crontab schedule. I'd like to
hear other opinions before starting the work, though.

Thanks,
-Stolee