Subject: Re: [PATCH 3/3] Teach "git branch" about --new-workdir

From: Jakub Narebski <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 Jul 2007 00:46:29 +0200

Julian Phillips wrote:

> I just think that to a user it feels like a checkout operation ... and 
> that would less confusing as an option to checkout.  Trying to explain 
> that branch just creates a new branch, unless you give this option then it 
> creates a working copy over there seems more compilcated than saying the 
> checkout updates/creates this working copy, unless you use this option to 
> create one over there.

IMVHO git-checkout is characterized that it changes _current_ working
directory. But having this in git-checkout would mean that you can create
new workdir for _existing_ branch. git-branch is rather (except from
listing) for creating new branches.

It is a fact that functionalities of git-checkout (-b) and git-branch
(--new-work-dir) intersect a bit.
-- 
Jakub Narebski
Warsaw, Poland
ShadeHawk on #git