Subject: Re: Windows support

From: Jakub Narebski <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 Jul 2007 23:39:35 +0200

Han-Wen Nienhuys wrote:

> 2007/7/26, Shawn O. Pearce <[email-masked]>:
>> Han-Wen Nienhuys <[email-masked]> wrote:

>>> I would suggest to making a clear
>>> decision of what are recommended languages, and move everything else
>>> to contrib/ .. Currently, C and bash seem the most reasonable choice,
>>> but you could decide for perl, but then the consequence should be that
>>> the bash scripts are translated into perl. Having both bash and perl
>>> serves no purpose, and will lead to duplication of library code to
>>> interact with the git binary.
>>
>> Sure, but there's some stuff that shell is good at, and other stuff
>> that Perl is good at.  Forcing everything into one mold while we
>> prototype new features is really limiting.
> 
> I'm not contradicting that, but merely suggesting that they go into
> contrib/ and are not recommended as standard git commands, and don't
> need to be packaged for windows.

They can be not packaged for windows, but for example git-send-email
(which is written in Perl) is IMHO important enough to be in git proper
and not delegated to contrib/; but it is packaged in separate RPM,
git-email. Same with git-svn package...

-- 
Jakub Narebski
Warsaw, Poland
ShadeHawk on #git