Subject: Re: cvs2svn conversion directly to git ready for experimentation

From: Jakub Narebski <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 02 Aug 2007 00:09:03 +0200

Michael Haggerty wrote:

> I am the maintainer of cvs2svn[1], which is a program for one-time
> conversions from CVS to Subversion.  cvs2svn is very robust against the
> many peculiarities of CVS and can convert just about every CVS
> repository we have ever seen.
> 
> I've been working on a cvs2svn output pass that writes the converted CVS
> repository directly into git rather than Subversion.  The code runs now
> with at least one repository from our test suite of nasty CVS repositories.

Have you contacted Jon Smirl about his unpublished work on cvs2git,
cvs2svn based CVS to Git converter?

Quote from InterfacesFrontendsAndTools page on GIT wiki[1]:

  cvs2git is the unofficial name of Jon Smirl's modifications to cvs2svn.
  These modifications allow cvs2svn to generate a data stream which is
  consumed by Shawn Pearce's git-fast-import (now included in git.git).
  git-fast-import converts its input stream directly into a Git .pack file,
  minimizing the amount of IO required on large imports.

  Jon Smirl stopped working on cvs2git[2] because first, Mozilla (which was
  main target of his work) decided that to not to move to git, and second
  because of troubles with cvs2svn architecture[*] (which it is based on).
  Jon Smirl has posted his impressions on working on CVS importer in 
  "Some tips for doing a CVS importer" thread[3].

References:
-----------
[1] http://git.or.cz/gitwiki/InterfacesFrontendsAndTools#head-23858c2cde0cef60443d8e73e6829a95f8e191ef
[2] http://msgid.gmane.org/[email-masked]
[3] http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?t=116405956000001&r=1&w=2

Footnotes:
----------
[*] If I remember correctly authors of cvs2svn were talking about separating
the code dealing with disentangling CVS repository structure from the part
translating it into Subversion repository (with its quirks), and the part
generating Subversion repository.

-- 
Jakub Narebski
Warsaw, Poland
ShadeHawk on #git