Subject: Re: git on Cygwin: Not a valid object name HEAD

From: Sebastian Schuberth <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 07 Aug 2007 15:18:10 +0200

>>>  100% (2295/2295) done
>>> Resolving 1793 deltas...
>>>  100% (1793/1793) done
>>> : not a valid SHA1b870df7cde1e05ee76d1d15ea428f
>>> fatal: Not a valid object name HEAD

As Mark Levedahl assumed by e-mail, the problem is with Cygwin's binary 
vs. text mount mode feature. Thanks Mark.

I'm running on NTFS and I did try the "binary mount" stuff before "git 
clone" by issuing

mount -bc /cygdrive

but I overlooked that this command only affects /cygdrive paths, and I 
did clone into a non /cygdrive path. So cloning to a /cygdrive mounted 
path works now.

I wonder if this happens because git never passes "b" to any fopen() 
calls (as there is no such thing like opening a file in binary mode 
under Linux, because files are always opened "binary"). If fopen() 
safely ignores the "b" option under Linux, I think it should always be 
specified so Cygwin's git will work with text mode mounts when compiled 
from the original git sources.

-- 
Sebastian Schuberth