Subject: Re: [PATCH v3 09/11] builtin/bugreport.c: create '--diagnose' option

From: Victoria Dye <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 Aug 2022 08:40:42 -0700

Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason wrote:
> 
> On Wed, Aug 10 2022, Victoria Dye via GitGitGadget wrote:
> 
>> From: Victoria Dye <[email-masked]>
>>
>> Create a '--diagnose' option for 'git bugreport' to collect additional
>> information about the repository and write it to a zipped archive.
>> [...]
>>  'git bugreport' [(-o | --output-directory) <path>] [(-s | --suffix) <format>]
>> +		[--diagnose[=<mode>]]
>> [...]
>>  static const char * const bugreport_usage[] = {
>> -	N_("git bugreport [-o|--output-directory <file>] [-s|--suffix <format>]"),
>> +	N_("git bugreport [-o|--output-directory <file>] [-s|--suffix <format>] [--diagnose[=<mode>]"),
>>  	NULL
>>  };
> 
> This still has the SYNOPSIS v.s. -h discrepancy noted in
> https://lore.kernel.org/git/[email-masked]/

The discrepancy you pointed out was on 'git diagnose' (which has since been
fixed), this is a pre-existing one in 'git bugreport'. I decided against
fixing *this* one because it didn't really fit into any of the patches in
this series, so it would need its own patch. When balancing "leave things
better than you found them" vs. "stay focused on the purpose of the series",
I leaned towards the latter to avoid setting a precedent for other 'git
bugreport'-related scope creep.

If you have the patches to audit this sort of thing, I think a nice place to
fix this might be in a dedicated series fixing discrepancies tree-wide. Even
better, you could include the patches in your tree that detect them as part
of e.g. the 'static-analysis' CI job.