Subject: Re: git-svn: Finding the svn-URL of the current branch in git

From: Matthias Kleine <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 08 Aug 2007 10:54:55 +0200

Peter Baumann wrote:
> 
> I had this situation, too.
> 
> 
> 			a = svn branch 'a'
> 	  m		b = svn branch 'b' (in my case, it was trunk)
>       /   \		m = a merge of branch 'a' and 'b', not yet commited to svn
>      a     b
> 
> So trying to dcommit m, git svn can't figure out on which branch, as 'a'
> and 'b' are both reachable. I had to use a graft file to lose one of the
> parents, which let git-svn commit to SVN.

You're right, both 'a' and 'b' are reachable from 'm'.  But if I got it 
right 'm' also contains information as to which one is the first parent 
and thereby which branch we're on. So wouldn't it be enough, if git-svn 
automatically chose the first parent (using log --first-parent)?

> 
> So for a short fix to get the work done, you could create a graft file
> where you fake m to only have one parent.
>
Thanks for that one. I didn't know about the grafts file before.

Matthias