Subject: Re: git-daemon on NSLU2

From: Salikh Zakirov <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 26 Aug 2007 02:02:57 +0900

Junio C Hamano wrote:
> But I do not think "majority is initial clone" is the norm.
> Even among the people who does an "initial clone" (from the
> end-user perspective), what they do may not be the initial full
> clone your special hack helps (and that was one of the reasons
> we dropped the pre-prepared pack support --- "been there, done
> that" to some extent).

FWIW, on my previous job release engineering team used git
in a special way involving lots of initial clones. 

The project itself was kept under SVN, and several machines
were doing continuous builds, starting from scratch.
Unfortunately, doing from scratch checkouts from SVN was not
an option because of high SVN checkout overhead, and machines
did a git-clone of imported repository instead.

Obviously using --reference would have saved even more on initial clone,
but the release team consisting of a pregnant woman and an
intern student had neither time nor inclination to learn
git any deeper than were strictly necessary to get the job done.
Apparently, pure git-clone performance was good enough.