Subject: Re: RFC: German translation vocabulary

From: David Soria <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 16 Sep 2007 15:01:04 +0000 (UTC)

Am Sun, 16 Sep 2007 14:38:37 +0200 schrieb Christian Stimming:

Hi Christian,

thank you for bringing up the topic, it's really worth discussing it.

> [commit] message - Meldung (Nachricht?; Source Safe: Kommentar)
I prefer "Kommentar" here. It describes better what the commit message is
about. "Meldung" has some co-notations that don't fit (like e.g.
"Meldung" often involes other people, like you "meldest" something to
somebody).
 
> I'm still rather unsure what to do about them. One problem here is that
> both words are used in several different meanings all at once. For
> example, the "commit [noun]" is used interchangeably with "revision".
> I'm actually inclined to translate it with "Version" for exactly that
> reason. And then "checkout": The noun is probably used interchangeably
> with "working copy". Hence, it could be translated as such. OTOH the
> verb means "to update the working copy", and it could be translated as
> such instead of one single word. This would leave only "commit [verb]"
> as the last tricky issue for which a single-word translation must be
> found. "übertragen" is my current favorite but I'm absolutely open for
> further proposals here.
> 
> As you can see in the glossary file, I'm still unhappy with the
> translations for those, but anyway here's the current status (not taking
> into account the discussion of the previous paragraph so far):
> 
Really hard. I would prefer some larger explanations if they fit into the
application and make sense on every label in the gui.

> msgid "commit [noun]"
> msgstr "Übertragung (Sendung?, Übergabe?, Einspielung?, Ablagevorgang?)"
Übertragung fits well, but for me it has a co-notation that something is
transfered from one point to another (e.g. using an internet connection)
So this translation would fit perfectly for centralized versioning
systems, where the changeset is really "transfered" to somewhere. I would
prefer the term "Einspielung" as I think it reflects better, that the
commit is locally.

David