Subject: Re: stgit: editing description of patch

From: Catalin Marinas <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 5 Oct 2007 09:16:17 +0000 (UTC)

(for whatever reason, gnus decided that it no longer likes the
authenticated SMTP server, so I'm trying to post via gmane).

On Thu, 04 Oct 2007 19:39:29 +0200, Karl Hasselström wrote:

> On 2007-10-04 12:45:17 -0400, Jon Smirl wrote:
> 
>> Why are the patch name and the short description independent
>> variables? Wouldn't it make more sense to treat these as a single
>> unified item? If I rename the patch it would automatically edit the
>> first line of the description, etc...
> 
> I guess Catalin would have to answer that -- it's "always" been like
> that. But one obvious problem are patches with identical messages --
> just today I created a series of seven patches that all had "debug"
> for a message. Another is that you usually want descriptive commit
> messages, but may want short and easy-to-type patch names.

That's pretty much the case. There are also the historical reasons (quilt
does the same) plus the fact the exporting should really generate shorter
and simpler file names rather than name with capitals and spaces. I've
also seen people writing a single paragraph over several lines without a
short description. You wouldn't really want a patch name that long.

Anyway, 'stg series -d' would show the patch name together with the short
description.

>> When importing a patch from a saved email, stg should strip all the
>> email headers out of the description. I have to manually fix that
>> up.
> 
> Do you do "stg import -M"? That's for importing one or more patches
> contained in an mbox. Without the -M, I think the default is to expect
> plain diff input.

There is also 'stg import -m' for single e-mails rather than mbox. StGIT
should be able to cope with attachments as well.

Catalin