Subject: Re: [PATCH RFC v3 18/18] builtin/history: implement "reword" subcommand

From: Phillip Wood <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 Sep 2025 15:10:56 +0100

On 15/09/2025 10:32, Patrick Steinhardt wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 10, 2025 at 03:05:04PM +0100, Phillip Wood wrote:
>> On 04/09/2025 15:27, Patrick Steinhardt wrote:
>>> Implement a new "reword" subcommand for git-history(1). This subcommand
>>> is essentially the same as if a user performed an interactive rebase
>>> with a single commit changed to use the "reword" verb.
>>
>> The sequencer already knows how to reword a commit, it would be much simpler
>> to reuse that code.
> 
> I'll drop the second half of this patch series for now to reduce the
> scope of this series a bit. But once I send the second half I'll have a
> look at whether this can be simplified.

If we passed a todo-list rather than just a list of commits to the 
sequencer then it would be as simple as writing "reword $oid"[*] in the 
todo-list.

Thanks

Phillip

[*] I'm probably simplifying slightly as we might want to tweak the 
hooks that the sequencer runs for "git-history" but it should be fairly 
easy.