Subject: Re: [BUG] git-credential-libsecret writes secret to stdout on store

From: Phillip Wood <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Apr 2026 14:13:33 +0100

On 22/04/2026 06:49, Mantas Mikulėnas wrote:
>> 2. The direct-invocation pattern shows up widely in distro docs,
>>    StackOverflow answers, and automation scripts -- empirically the
>>    "internal protocol" boundary is porous. Fixing the helper is one
>>    line; documenting the internal boundary across the ecosystem is
>>    not.
>>
>> If the preferred answer is instead "users should only use
>> `git credential approve`", that would also work for me, but it may
>> deserve a note in gitcredentials(7) to steer people away from the
>> direct pattern -- the current docs don't actively discourage it.

Yes, users should be using "git credential", not be running the helpers 
directly. That's why the helpers are installed in a directory that is 
not in $PATH. gitcredentials(7) shows how to set the config setting used 
by "git credential", as far as I can see it does not suggest that users 
should be running the helpers directly.

Thanks

Phillip