Subject: Re: git --format anyone ?

From: "Kristoffer Haugsbakk" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 16 Mar 2026 12:45:36 +0100

On Mon, Mar 16, 2026, at 11:12, John Emmas wrote:
> I'm hoping this is the right mailing list (I'm using a product called
> Git for Windows and its logo looks the same on your website!)
>
> I'm working on a project which requires me to run "git --format" (with
> various parameters of course). I'm currently running version 2.51.2
> which looks fairly recent and if I simply type "git" it displays a list
> of available options - but it doesn't deem to offer an option called
> 'format' :-(
>
> I gather that the latest version is 2.53.0 so would it be worthwhile for
> me to upgrade? i.e. would that then offer me git --format? Thanks,

The `git` command itself does not have a `--format` option. Some
subcommands do like git-log(1).

    git log --format=<something>

> I'm working on a project which requires me to run "git --format" (with
> various parameters of course).

`git log --format=<something>` is for formatting log output. But since a
project “requires it” could this be formatting in the sense of formatting
source code?

You can for example use the third-party git-clang-format(1) on this
project. But it is third-party. It is not part of the git(1) suite of
commands.