Subject: git-merge: inconsistent manual page.

From: Sergei Organov <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 30 Oct 2007 16:22:31 +0300

Hello,

git-merge has inconsistent manual page:

1. In the SYNOPSIS, there is [-m <msg>], but OPTIONS section lacks it.
   The latter has just  description of <msg>, suggesting it could be
   used without -m, but SYNOPSIS doesn't reflect this. 

   BTW, git-merge options are described in
   Documentation/merge-options.txt that is also used fot git-pull
   options, and it's not clear for me if git-pull supports [-m
   <msg>]. Does it?

2. In the SYNOPSIS, there is no <head> that is described in the
   OPTIONS.

Overall, it seems that either SYNOPSIS should be changed (see patch
below), or historical syntax should be wiped from the manual page.

diff --git a/Documentation/git-merge.txt b/Documentation/git-merge.txt
index bca4212..0ea7aea 100644
--- a/Documentation/git-merge.txt
+++ b/Documentation/git-merge.txt
@@ -10,7 +10,7 @@ SYNOPSIS
 --------
 [verse]
 'git-merge' [-n] [--summary] [--no-commit] [--squash] [-s <strategy>]...
-	[-m <msg>] <remote> <remote>...
+	[[-m] <msg>] [<head>] <remote> <remote>...
 
 DESCRIPTION
 -----------

-- 
Sergei.