Subject: Re: remote#branch

From: Jakub Narebski <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2007 01:12:37 +0100

Jeff King wrote:

> On Tue, Oct 30, 2007 at 12:38:27PM -0700, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> 
>> So if you want to follow the RFC, you'd better give a real reason. And no, 
>> the existence of an RFC, and the fact that people use the same name for 
>> things that superficially _look_ the same is not a reason in itself.
>> 
>> So hands up, people. Anybody who asked for RFC quoting. Give a damn 
>> *reason* already!
> 
> I didn't ask for RFC quoting, but a nice side effect of URL syntax is
> that they are machine parseable. If you wanted to write a tool to pick
> the URLs out of this email and clone them as git repos, then how do you
> find the end of:
> 
>   http://host/git repo with spaces in the path
> 
> compared to:
> 
>   http://host/git+repo+with+spaces+in+the+path
> 
> I don't know if that's worth changing anything in git (in fact, I'm not
> even clear on _what_ people want to change; the point of this discussion
> seems to be to argue about terminology). But you did ask for any reason
> for quoting URLs.

You use

  'http://host/git repo with spaces in the path'

Theoretically, we can follow what other CLI tools dealing with URLs do
(like wget, lynx, ...), i.e. assume that URL is _not_ RFC-escaped if it
is in quotes, and assume that URL is properly escaped if it is not quoted.

-- 
Jakub Narebski
Warsaw, Poland
ShadeHawk on #git