Subject: Re: Deprecate git-fetch-pack?

From: Jakub Narebski <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2007 01:16:13 +0100

Theodore Tso wrote:

> 2) The command which are displayed by "git help" should use some
> serious rethinking.  Ideally, it would be nice if the output fit in a
> single 24-line terminal window.   Some candidates for removal:
> 
>        a) prune: "git prune" definitely doesn't deserve to be on the
>        front and center as displayed by "git help".  Maybe replace it
>        with "gc", but now that we have gc.auto, I'm not sure it's
>        worth it at all.

I would replace it by "git gc" (you have to run 'git gc --prune' by hand
on quiescent repository), or remove it altogether.

>        b) revert:  Is that really that common of a command?

It is useful command, perhaps short description should be improved.
BTW. if we have cherry-pick, then we should have revert.

>        c) show-branch: The output is terrifying without explanation

I agree. I would replace it by gitk, or gui (git-gui / "git gui").

> There are other commands I'm not so sure about, but it is worth
> flagging them.  One way that might be helpful is to group the commands
> into subcommands, much like gdb does, so you could do something like
> "git help other-repos" (where all commands that involve interacting
> with other repositories are summarized), and so on.

I think that "git-rm" could be removed, because "rm <file>; git commit ..."
works just fine.

See also discussion about results of Git User's Survey 2007, somewhere
around
  http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.version-control.git/59935/focus=62205

-- 
Jakub Narebski
Warsaw, Poland
ShadeHawk on #git