Subject: wishlist: git info

From: Thomas Neumann <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2007 21:30:56 +0100

Hi,

while git is pleasant to use in everyday work, there is one svn feature
which is miss dearly, namely "svn info". svn info can give information
about specific file objects, but I think its main feature is to use it
without any path and thus just describe the current project.
I use this a lot to quickly find out to which remote repository the
current directory belongs (yes, some work projects tend to look very
similar...) and what is the current state of the directory.

As a crude approximation, "git info" should print something like:
cat .git/config | grep url
git show | head -3

Probably not the most intelligent way to compute it, but you get the
idea. git info should give a brief overview over the current working
directory.
If there is consensus that this is a useful feature I can try to suggest
a patch (although honestly I would prefer that someone else does it, I
am not familiar with the git internals).

Thomas