Subject: Re: Reordering lines in "git-rebase -i" task sheet

From: Andy Parkins <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 23 Nov 2007 08:54:38 +0000

Junio C Hamano wrote:

> Could we please reorder the lines so that list of initial
> "pick"s come first and have the help comment lines at the very
> end?

I'm not convinced that this is a great idea.

Mostly with git-rebase -i one is reordering the most recent commits, which
are at the bottom.  Personally, I am often reordering commits that are as
yet unpushed, so for ease-of-thinking I type

 git rebase -i origin/master

again and again.   Hence the early lines are probably already sorted into a
nice order and it's commits at the bottom of the list that need a bit of
massaging.

At present it's easy to get to them because a shift-G or ctrl-end, or
$END_OF_FILE takes you there.   With the above change it's now more steps
to move to the interesting part.

Now if you were suggesting flipping the sort direction at the same time, I
could get on board - but that is perhaps one confusing step too far.

> That is the reason why git commit leaves the first line empty in
> its initial template.  It is to allow the user to immediately
> start typing.

That's different, for a commit message, the first line is exactly where one
would want to be.

Not a strong objection.

Andy
-- 
Dr Andy Parkins, M Eng (hons), MIET
[email-masked]