Subject: Re: What's cooking in git.git (topics)

From: Jakub Narebski <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 25 Nov 2007 21:36:14 +0100

Junio C Hamano wrote:

> [Actively cooking]
> 
> * jc/spht (Sat Nov 24 11:57:41 2007 -0800) 6 commits
>  + core.whitespace: documentation updates.
>  + builtin-apply: teach whitespace_rules
>  + builtin-apply: rename "whitespace" variables and fix styles
>  + core.whitespace: add test for diff whitespace error highlighting
>  + git-diff: complain about >=8 consecutive spaces in initial indent
>  + War on whitespace: first, a bit of retreat.
> 
> Now apply also knows about the customizable definition of what
> whitespace breakages are, and I was reasonably happy. But Bruce kicked
> it back from "scheduled to merge" to "still cooking" status, reminding
> that we would want to have this not a tree-wide configuration but
> per-path attribute.  And I agree with him.

Currently apply.whitespace is per repository - would this be changed
as well, i.e. would it be moved to gitattributes together with custom
diff drivers (or at least custom funcnames), custom merge drivers,
making it per-project (if put under version control) and per-path?

By the way, i18n.commitEncoding is per repository, and used to affect
repository; not so with the "encoding" header in commit object.

-- 
Jakub Narebski
Warsaw, Poland
ShadeHawk on #git