Subject: Re: If you would write git from scratch now, what would you change?

From: Andy Parkins <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 04 Dec 2007 11:00:42 +0000

Johannes Schindelin wrote:

> Tcl/Tk was easier to install on a lot more platforms in my life than Qt.

I wasn't really thinking of the install; that's a packaging problem.  I was
speaking of the toolkit itself.  I know what you mean, but I wasn't even
thinking of cross-platform in a "number of places it can run" sense.  What
I meant (although my point is irrelevant and way off the original question)
was the facilities available in the toolkit with a cross-platform
interface.

Qt puts a common face on threading, process control, networking, file
systems, internationalisation, rendering, openGL, and of course the GUI
itself.  Tcl/Tk (to take the most wicked example) gives you applications
that are much harder to make run on Windows than on UNIX.

Anyway, I don't want to sound like a strange Qt fan boy; the above is simply
my justification for putting "git-gui in Qt" on my wish list.

Andy
-- 
Dr Andy Parkins, M Eng (hons), MIET
[email-masked]