Subject: Re: Windows binaries for qgit 2.0

From: Abdelrazak Younes <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 16 Dec 2007 08:26:03 +0100

Marco Costalba wrote:
> Due to a feature request on sourceforge qgit account:
> 
> http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=1759403&group_id=139897&atid=744830
> 
> I have cooked and uploaded a qgit.exe file with Qt4.3.3 statically
> linked in so to let Windows users that just want to give a shot to
> qgit the possibility to try it easily.

Sorry for the intrusion in this list but you don't need to compile Qt 
statically IMO. Just bundle the Qt dlls that you needs (most probably 
QtCore and QtGui) with you executable and be done with it.

> Normally I use debug shared Qt libraries for development, so after
> some effort I finally managed to build the static ones and finally to
> build qgit.exe
> 
> Problem is that _this_ qgit.exe shows strange misbehaviour like 20X
> slower then the one I normally build for development,  there is also
> some strange artifacts with file history graph.

If you are using debug dlls, those are known to be slower  because of 
the additional checking (like vector bundaries, etc). Beware also of 
stdlib-debug if you're using gcc. In any case, if you want to gain 
speed, you should compile with MSVC (MSVC2005Express is free as in beer).

Hope this helps,
Abdel.