Subject: Re: [ANNOUNCE] qgit2.1rc1_win.exe

From: "Peter Klavins" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 26 Dec 2007 22:22:39 +0100

> You can find an auto-extract zip file with a version of qgit built for
> Windows (Vista).

I found it a bit obscure as to how to rebuild qgit from scratch on Vista, so 
just for the record:

# Set up VS2008
1. Install Visual Studio 2008

# Set up Qt4
2. Download qt-win-opensource-src-4.3.3.zip from 
http://trolltech.com/developer/downloads/qt/windows and unzip into directory 
(e.g.,) C:\qt-win-opensource-src-4.3.3
3. cd C:\qt-win-opensource-src-4.3.3
4. configure                 (takes significant time, around 10 minutes from 
memory)
5. nmake                     (takes over an hour on a Core 2 Duo 2 GHz, 
consumes 2 GByte of disk)

# Install git and use it to get qgit4 source
6. Download Git-1.5.4-rc1-preview20071221-corrected.exe from 
http://code.google.com/p/msysgit/downloads/ and install (default directory 
C:\Program Files\Git is fine)
7. Open Git Bash from Start menu, set up Src directory (e.g., mkdir Src, cd 
Src)
8. git clone git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/qgit/qgit4.git        (to get qgit 
sources into Src/qgit4)
9. Exit Git Bash shell

# Build and run qgit
10. Open VS2008 command prompt, ensuring that VS tools are on the PATH by 
test invoking 'nmake'
11. Add qmake to path with PATH=C:\qt-win-opensource-src-4.3.3\bin;%PATH%
12. Add git to path with PATH=C:\Program Files\Git\bin;%PATH%
13. Navigate to qgit4 directory (e.g., cd C:\Users\<you>\Src\qgit4)
14. qmake              (to preprocess with Qt4)
15. nmake              (to build debug version)
16. bin\qgit             (to run qgit to browse qgit4's own repository!)

------------------------------------------------------------------------
 Peter Klavins