Subject: Re: [ANNOUNCE] GIT 1.5.4 (git popularity)

From: Jakub Narebski <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 03 Feb 2008 16:34:42 +0100

Matthieu Moy wrote:
> Pierre Habouzit <[email-masked]> writes:
>> On Sun, Feb 03, 2008 at 01:00:57AM +0000, Junichi Uekawa wrote:
>>> 
>>> When I was idly googling around for traces of VCS and popularity,
>>> noticed that Git is actually pretty popular.  Googling for 'gitweb'
>>> and 'viewcvs' and other comparative web-frontend variants floating in
>>> the cyberspace I get these number of hits (in rough estimate) :
>>> 
>>> 10000000 CVS
>>> 1000000 SVN
>>> 100000 Git
>>> 10000 Mercurial / Darcs
>>> 1000 Bzr
>>> 
>>> This is crude, and I'm sure someone else will come up with a better
>>> estimate. The point is, when there are so many users, people don't
>>> read the lists or the changelog, but rely on manuals, and be surprised
>>> with this change.
>>
>>   http://www.google.com/trends?q=svn%2C+git%2C+mercurial%2C+bzr%2C+darcs&ctab=0&geo=all&date=all&sort=0
> 
> Debian's popularity contest gives an idea too

And Ohloh stack count gives yet another idea.  Both Debian popularity
counter and number of Ohloh stacks are mentioned in GitSurvey2007[*1*],
around question about used SCMs.  Google Trends above not yet, and
perhaps will not because it is even more skewed than mentioned results,
perhaps even more than result of Git _User's_ Survey 2007.

[*1*] http://git.or.cz/gitwiki/GitSurvey2007#head-4ed59e7615e2dc4f4baa8fa0beccde52c93789f8
-- 
Jakub Narebski
Warsaw, Poland
ShadeHawk on #git