Subject: [PATCH 2/2] doc: diff-options.adoc: show format.noprefix for format-patch

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2026 21:26:18 +0100

From: Kristoffer Haugsbakk <[email-masked]>

git-format-patch(1) uses `format.noprefix` and ignores `diff.noprefix`.

The configuration variable `format.prefix` was added as an “escape
hatch” because “it’s unlikely that anybody really wants format.
noprefix=true in the first place.”[1] Based on that there doesn’t
seem to be a need to widely advertise this configuration variable.

But in any case: the documentation for this option should not claim
that it overrides a config that is always ignored.

† 1: 8d5213de (format-patch: add format.noprefix option, 2023-03-09)

Signed-off-by: Kristoffer Haugsbakk <[email-masked]>
---

Notes (series):
    `--default-prefix` does override `format.noprefix`. See test `format-patch
    --default-prefix overrides format.noprefix`.

 Documentation/diff-options.adoc | 4 +++-
 1 file changed, 3 insertions(+), 1 deletion(-)

diff --git a/Documentation/diff-options.adoc b/Documentation/diff-options.adoc
index 9cdad6f72a0..8f632d5fe1a 100644
--- a/Documentation/diff-options.adoc
+++ b/Documentation/diff-options.adoc
@@ -860,7 +860,9 @@ endif::git-format-patch[]
 
 `--default-prefix`::
 	Use the default source and destination prefixes ("a/" and "b/").
-	This overrides configuration variables such as `diff.noprefix`,
+	This overrides configuration variables such as
+ifndef::git-format-patch[`diff.noprefix`,]
+ifdef::git-format-patch[`format.noprefix`,]
 	`diff.srcPrefix`, `diff.dstPrefix`, and `diff.mnemonicPrefix`
 	(see linkgit:git-config[1]).
 
-- 
2.53.0.26.g2afa8602a26