Subject: git-gui not working in a non-default Cygwin installation.

From: Jurko Gospodnetić <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 16 Feb 2008 02:48:38 +0100

Hi all.

   I am unsure whether this is the right group for asking this question 
and if it is not please excuse me and/or redirect me to a more suitable one.

   We are looking into using git for our source control needs but ran 
into some problems.

   One of these is that it seems that with the latest git release the 
git-gui script changed and started hardcoding some absolute paths in it 
during its build (git-gui/Makefile replaces @@GITGUI_SCRIPT@@ with a 
hardcoded path). However, this causes the prebuilt Cygwin package to not 
work in case Cygwin is not installed in its default location at 
C:\Cygwin (e.g. D:\Cygwin or C:\Program Files\Cygwin).

   Everything works fine if you manually edit the git-gui script and 
change the hard-coded path defined there.

   Is there something I'm missing here? E.g. is there any way for the 
Cygwin installation to set the correct path here? Or is the user 
supposed to modify this by hand on every installation? If this is so, 
then what other such files are expected to be modified?

   Many thanks.

   Best regards,
     Jurko Gospodnetić