Subject: Re: git-gui not working in a non-default Cygwin installation.

From: Jurko Gospodnetić <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 17 Feb 2008 12:25:50 +0100

Hi Shawn.

> First, let me point out that Cygwin's Tcl/Tk is stuck on 8.4.1 and
> will probably never get updated again.  I have had some bugs with
> git-gui on 8.4.1 on Windows where git-fetch/git-push processes
> get hung and don't function correctly.  Upgrading Tcl/Tk to the
> native Windows binaries of version 8.4.15 resolves the problem,
> but that binary cannot handle Cygwin paths and Cygwin mount points.

   Sorry, I seem to be a bit confused about this... Why does cygwin not 
support Tcl/Tk above version 8.4.1?

   What about the information found on 
http://opencircuitdesign.com/cygwin under 'Tcl-Cygwin binary 
distribution download and install:'? It lists some additional downloads 
that may be used to install the latest Tcl/Tk on cygwin... Why is this 
not included in the regular Cygwin distribution (setup.exe)?

> git-gui assumes its going to be running on a newer (and more stable)
> Tcl/Tk so its build process embeds the Windows path into the script.
> *sigh*

   But new version of Tcl/Tk or not, this will not work unless you 
actually *build* git-gui on your final target system. Why does this 
information need to be hardcoded in the script at all? Can it not be 
detected at run-time?

> I'll try to work up a Makefile patch in the next few days and get
> it into a gitgui-0.9.3 maint release, which will probably roll up
> into git 1.5.4.3.

   Thanks!

   Best regards,
     Jurko Gospodnetić