Subject: Re: [PATCH] Don't force imap.host to be set when imap.tunnel is set

From: Andy Parkins <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 Apr 2008 10:11:59 +0100

Junio C Hamano wrote:

> I am not an imap-send user myself, but is it the case that the use of
> imap.tunnel always makes imap.host useless/unnecessary and safe to be left
> as NULL?

You're right that it isn't guaranteed to be unnecessary, but equally it's
not guaranteed to be necessary - which is just the situation that an
optional configuration setting describes.

> Driving imapd standalone like the "tunnel" example you quoted above would
> trigger preauth behaviour, so that should be safe, but I suspect there are
> other ways to use tunnel to just relay the connection over the firewall,
> while still requiring the client to authenticate the same way as usual.

I'm sure you are correct, but as I say - it's not guaranteed.  Since
git-imap-send can't know what this particular tunnel requires it shouldn't
force the creation of a dummy option.  If the tunnel does require a
hostname then there is a place to put it, and the person writing the tunnel
line can decide that.

Andy

-- 
Dr Andy Parkins, M Eng (hons), MIET
[email-masked]