Subject: Re: [ANNOUNCE] GIT 1.5.4

From: Jari Aalto <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 08 Feb 2008 00:46:20 +0200

* Thu 2008-02-07 Johannes Schindelin-Mmb7MZpHnFY <[email-masked]>
* Message-Id: [email-masked]
> The reasoning for showing the GPL in the Git installer..in favour, for two 
> reasons:
>
> - the end users should really know that the software is licensed in a 
>   pretty free way.

No they don't. The git binary is free in its distributable form and
needs therefore no such "EULA to be clicked".

Git is distributed everywhere else without "press the button to
bypass/accept/whatever reading the GPL". Let's not make some platform,
and a specific version of it, an exception.

FYI, Windows / Cygwin, version does not require user to click past such
"EULA".

> - _every_ serious Windows program comes with a click-through license.  We 
>   just don't want to be left behind.

No they don't. Have a look at vast number of Freeware software out there
www.nonags.com, tucows etc. They do not at all require such measures.

And yes, Freeware is serious software for Windows users.

> - even if it would be not necessary to accept the license (which I am not 
>   at all sure about

Redhat, The big company, has allowed the hosted Cygwin project to
distribute GPL software for ages under Windows. And their lawyers *have*
certainly checked that Cygwin installer does not need user to click "GPL
EULA" to have Cygwin installed.

That pretty much proves that there is no need for "read LICENCE to
install" button to be present.

Jari

-- 
Welcome to FOSS revolution: we fix and modify until it shines