Subject: Re: git over rsync+ssh

From: Michael J Gruber <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Jul 2008 12:09:14 +0200

Teemu Likonen venit, vidit, dixit 09.07.2008 19:17:
> Avery Pennarun wrote (2008-07-09 12:02 -0400):
> 
>> I don't know if this will help in your case, but if it will be only
>> you pushing to this repository, one option is to simply create a bare
>> push repository on your local machine, and then manually just
>> rsync+ssh it to the remote machine from the command line as
>> a so-called "push" operation.
> 
> Again, I don't know if this is helpful for Michael, but this "manual"
> rsyncing can be done automatically via hooks/post-receive. Just like
> Avery said, "git push" to a bare repository in a local machine and this
> bare repo has post-receive hook which does "git update-server-info" and
> the rsyncing (or "sitecopy --update" or similar).

Thanks for your hints. Your posts combined made me understand the trick, 
using the "auxiliary" local repo for the hooks triggering the rsync. 
I'll hopefully remember it when I need it; in this case, a second repo 
would not have been very convenient, but I managed to get git running on 
the server side meanwhile.

Michael