Subject: Re: git over rsync+ssh

From: Michael J Gruber <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Jul 2008 12:14:43 +0200

Stephen Sinclair venit, vidit, dixit 09.07.2008 22:33:
> On Wed, Jul 9, 2008 at 10:01 AM, Michael J Gruber
> <[email-masked]> wrote:
>> I want to put a git repo on a server where I have ssh access but failed to
>> compile git (AIX 5.1, has libz.a but no .so nor headers; compiling
>> prerequisite zlib failed, probably due to a botched build environment).
>>
>> As far as I can see my only option for a private repo is using rsync over
>> ssh.
> 
> Have you tried sshfs?

Yes, in other cases, with mixed success. In the present situation, I'm 
just John Doh User on both the client and the server, no sshfs available.

> It allows you to mount an ssh-accessible file system onto your local
> file system.
> This might make it possible to use your local git to access the remote account.
> Not sure of the implications for data integrity...

Integrity would be okay (single developper). But git is fast with a fast 
filesystem, not so fast on NFS; on sshfs? I'm not even sure sshfs is 
"filesystem-like" enough for git. Have you tried it with git?

Michael

P.S.: Problem solved differently now: got git going(TM) on the server.