Subject: Re: Errors importing Apache Synapse SVN using Git

From: Michael J Gruber <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Jul 2008 14:59:11 +0200

Asankha C. Perera venit, vidit, dixit 10.07.2008 14:01:
> Hi All
> 
> I am an Apache Synapse developer, and want to import the Synapse SVN 
> repo into Git, so that Ohloh can properly get the Synapse history 
> (http://www.ohloh.net/topics/1326?page=1#post_6287)
> 
> However, when I try the command: "git svn clone --trunk=trunk 
> --tags=tags --branches=branches http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/synapse" 
> it seems to take forever, (or at least until the next network glitch), 
> and keeps filling up a file with just plain zeros ("0") : 
> ./.git/svn/trunk/.rev_db.13f79535-47bb-0310-9956-ffa450edef68
> 
> Can someone try the above command on the Synapse repo and tell me what I 
> can do to import from the SVN?

"svn log" takes forever on that repo, too. Current rev seems to be 
675546, and the synapse path does not exist in early revisions. Knowing 
the initial revision would help, then you could save "git svn" from 
having to comb through (supposedly) tens of thousands of irrelevant revs.

I just checked out trunk using svn 1.4.6, "svn log ." takes forever in 
the root dir. So the svn repo seems to be largely unusable, at least 
when accessed from svn 1.4.6 clients (the server is 1.5.0, I see).

Okay, I bisected it and got r234477 as the beginning of time for 
synapse. "svn log -r 234477:HEAD" is still painful.

You may want to fetch 1000 revs each or so from there each time.

Michael