Subject: git-svn dcommit gone wrong and git-fsck

From: Bruno Harbulot <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Aug 2008 17:37:36 +0100

Hello,

I had 11 consecutive commits in my local git repository that I was 
trying to commit to an SVN repository, using "git-svn dcommit". The 
first 7 worked fine, as usual. However, when sending the 8th, I got a 
"Bus error" (on OSX -- I'm not sure what the actual cause was).

A further "git-svn dcommit" produces this error.
Cannot dcommit with a dirty index.  Commit your changes first, or stash 
them with `git stash'.
  at /opt/local/bin/git-svn line 406

In addition, "gitk --all" no longer shows commits 8->11, but the current 
files seem to correspond to the last local commit.
I've run git-fsck which shows 3 dangling trees and about a dozen 
dangling blobs.

Apologies if it's a FAQ, but I can't seem to find much documentation on 
how this can be fixed (if it can). Is there a way to recover the missing 
commits and re-attach them back on the branch? (I had pushed that branch 
up to the 10th commit into another repository, which could help.)

Thank you,

Bruno.