Subject: Re: [PATCH v3 0/2] Add hostname condition to includeIf

From: Dirk Gouders <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Mar 2024 22:36:41 +0100

Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]> writes:

> Eric Sunshine <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>> Peff felt that adding `git config --show-hostname-for-includes` was
>> probably overkill, but I'd argue that it is necessary to enable users
>> to deterministically figure out the value to use in their
>> configuration rather than having to grope around in the dark via
>> guesswork and trial-and-error to figure out exactly what works.
>>
>> And the option name doesn't necessarily have to be so verbose; a
>> shorter name, such as `git config --show-hostname` may be good enough.
>> Implementing this option would also obviate the need to implement
>> `test-tool xgethostname` (though, I agree with Junio that `test-tool
>> gethostname` would have been a better, less implementation-revealing
>> name).
>
> Yeah, I like that show-hostname thing (which I do not know if "config"
> is a good home for, though).

A thought when I was reading this: wouldn't it be enough to document
that `uname -n` can be used to get the hostname that should be used?

As far as I know this should be POSIX-compliant and uses gethostname(2).

Dirk