Subject: Re: is gitosis secure?

From: Sitaram Chamarty <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 14 Dec 2008 11:42:11 +0000 (UTC)

On 2008-12-14, [email-masked] <[email-masked]> wrote:
> On Sun, 14 Dec 2008, martin wrote:
>> Why do you trust VPN more than the SSH?
> in part it's that a VPN is a single point of control for all remote 
> access.
>
> If you use ssh you end up exposing all the individual machines

Need not be true.  None of my internal servers aer even
accessible from the outside world; they're all in RFC1918
space and there's only one gateway.  This *is* my single
point of control.

I can setup different port numbers to forward to different
internal servers (ssh, http, whatever I wish); that may
sound like a form of "exposing" but in reality it's a lot
*more* restrictive than setting up a VPN and granting access
to it.

I actually don't like VPNs; they imply that you're "inside"
the network in some way, and I hate blurring that
distinction.  If I'm outside, I want to be acutely aware of
it, and the fact that I can't even ping one of the inside
hosts or see what's on it, or do anything other than what is
specifically allowed by the gateway, is one way of ensuring
this.