Subject: Re: [PATCH] Define a version of lstat(2) specially for copy operation

From: Mark Levedahl <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Mar 2009 23:17:25 -0400

Alex Riesen wrote:

> So that Cygwin port can continue work around its supporting
> library and get access to its faked file attributes.
> 
> Signed-off-by: Alex Riesen <[email-masked]>
> ---
> Junio C Hamano, Tue, Mar 17, 2009 21:42:31 +0100:
>> But isn't this something shops that do deploy Cygwin version of git want
>> to see fixed, so that they can have a site-wide policy implemented in the
> 
> Frankly, I doubt they know or care.

Please don't presume to speak for the world here. I have a not insignificant 
group of users, many on Cygwin, and we depend upon identical behavior 
between Linux and Cygwin versions of git. I maintain my own local build of 
git for my group, among other reasons is to disable the non-Posix lstat 
hack.  Using the Win32 lstat does not speed up git that much (maybe 20-30% 
in my experience) and this trade-off of compatibility vs being not quite so 
dreadfully slow is certainly not worth it for me. (Obviously, others have a 
different view, or this feature would not exist).

So, I strongly urge keeping the differences between POSIX/Linux git and 
Cygwin git as minimal as possible.

Mark Levedahl