Subject: Re: reverting initial commit

From: Giuseppe Bilotta <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Mar 2009 20:45:19 +0100

On Wednesday 25 March 2009 19:33, Jacob Helwig wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 25, 2009 at 11:26, Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]> wrote:
>>
>> That's not even an revert.  Can't you simply amend it away?
>>
>>        $ git rm not-this-file
>>        $ git commit --amend
> 
> This is obviously the easier way.  (Or a rebase --interactive)

Actually, rebase --interactive cannot be used to amend the first commit.
This is something that has hit me a couple of times when I realised, after
the second or third commit, that I needed to fix the first one. I found
the fastest way in this case to be to just format-patch all but the first
commit, reset --hard to the first commit, amend, and git am what I format-
patched.

I wish there was a way to tell rebase -i to go back to the first commit,
inclusive, but the two or three times I've tried hacking at it I never
managed to come to anything useful 8-/

-- 
Giuseppe "Oblomov" Bilotta