Subject: still getting 'It is a submodule!" in 1.6.2.5

From: Tim Olsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 04 May 2009 16:39:35 -0400

Hello.  I reported a bug last week [1] with regard to merging a
repository that contains submodules.  To summarize the bug, I was
getting the following error message from git-merge:

fatal: cannot read object 83055ffdddde60d41d9811aae77e78be50b329f8
'rubydav': It is a submodule!

when rubydav was never not a submodule.

Clemens replied with a patch [2], but I don't think it got into git's git.

Junio replied with two versions of a patch [3, 4], of which one of them
appears to have made it into git's git as commit
7dae8b21c2fe39a59661c709f0dc17090dafa5a4

1.6.2.5 was then released yesterday which has commit
7dae8b21c2fe39a59661c709f0dc17090dafa5a4.

So I tried out 1.6.2.5 but I got the same error :-(

To help others reproduce the bug, I have made a clone of our git
repository publicly available.  Here are the steps to reproduce the error:

~/git$ git clone git://nolita.limebits.net/limebits-merge-bug
~/git$ cd limebits-merge-bug/
~/git/limebits-merge-bug$ git branch --track 0.15.x origin/0.15.x
Branch 0.15.x set up to track remote branch refs/remotes/origin/0.15.x.
~/git/limebits-merge-bug$ git checkout 0.15.x
Switched to branch '0.15.x'
~/git/limebits-merge-bug$ git merge origin/bits-tiddlywiki-01
fatal: cannot read object ef0b013adc08cb28a35e790088e55df3fb2d7b15
'server': It is a submodule!
~/git/limebits-merge-bug$

Again, 'server' has never been anything but a submodule.

Thanks for the help!

Tim

[1] http://marc.info/?l=git&m=124094048321413&w=2
[2] http://marc.info/?l=git&m=124099458427695&w=2
[3] http://marc.info/?l=git&m=124103124319607&w=2
[4] http://marc.info/?l=git&m=124103686729847&w=2